Eastern Shores Library System
Eastern Shores Library
System Board of Trustees Meeting
Present: Nancy Lewis, presiding; Sara Filemyr, Howard Hoppe, Bill Jens, Sue Karlman, Bill Niehaus, Sherry Speth, Warren Stumpe, Marilyn Toepel and Joann Wiesner. Absent: Carol Baumann, Linda Bosman, Jackie Burmesch, and Robert Nuernberg. One vacancy. Also Present: David Weinhold, Director; Ann Krueger, Library Services Manager; Paul Onufrak, Automation Librarian; and Paula Siefert, Recording Secretary designate.
1. Call to Order: At 4:30 p.m. a quorum was present so Lewis called the meeting to order. The meeting was posted with both counties on February 20, 2006 according to the open meeting law.
2. Approval of Minutes: Wiesner moved, seconded by Niehaus to approve the January 23, 2006 Minutes. Stumpe corrected number 3 to read “...vacancy left by the retirement of Richard Rupert.” not resignation of Richard Rupert. Motion passed with the correction.
3. Approval of Expenditures: Jens reviewed the current expenditures of January 24 to February 27, 2006 and moved to accept them as presented. Seconded by Stumpe, motion carried. Jens reviewed the final Financial Statement for the twelve months ended December 31, 2005 and moved for approval. Seconded by Stumpe, motion carried.
4. Public Comment and Correspondence: Enclosed in board packet -
a. DPI Reply to Ozaukee County Resolutions 05-82, 05-80
b. DPI Opinion about MOE Requirement
c. DPI Opinion on Mead Public Library Employment Agreement
5. Committee Reports:
a. TAC Representative: No report, Nimmer absent.
b. Committee Appointments: Appointments distributed.
6. Election of Officers: Nominating Committee member, Wiesner reported that Lewis, President and Jens, Treasurer, have agreed to again serve in their office and Karlman has agreed to the position of Vice President. Lewis asked three times if there were any nominations from the floor. There were none. Stumpe moved to approve the slate of officers, seconded by Niehaus, motion carried.
7. Staff Report:
a. Onufrak reported concerns with SirsiDynix and the new Horizon server and software. Jens moved to have the board president issue a letter to SirsiDynix expressing the disapproval of the server and software and hold payment for the Horizon server until the problems have been resolved. Seconded by Karlman, motion carried.
8. County Library Service:
a. Ozaukee County Library Service Agreement: Contracts Committee member, Filemyr reported that the Committee recommends the 2006-2010 Agreement between Eastern Shores Library System and Ozaukee County and Memorandum of Understanding. Stumpe moved to approve the board President’s signature on the 2006-2010 Agreement and Memorandum between Eastern Shores Library System and Ozaukee County. Seconded by Jens, motion carried.
b. Ozaukee County Library Commission Reimbursement Resolution 05-83: Board received the Resolution.
9. DPI Opinion on Fees Related to EasiCat: Ozaukee County Corporation Counsel, Dennis Kenealy, forwarded the question to the Attorney General who asked the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) to reply. Trustees received a copy of the opinion from DPI which had also been sent to Kenealy.
10. Legislative Update:
SB 272 and SB 273 have been approved with the amendments to SB 272 and forwarded to the Assembly.
AB 1022 Alternative Exemption Method - the exemption is a three-year average. Stumpe spoke about the bill at its hearing in Madison.
5:30 p.m. Niehaus left
11. Transfer From Network Upgrade Reserve for New Horizon Server: Stumpe moved to approved the transfer of funds, after server and software problems are resolved, as presented. Seconded by Karlman, motion carried.
12. Trustee Essential: #27 Trustee Orientation and Continuing Education: Weinhold reviewed.
13. Staff Report:
a. Krueger reported that the Library Connection and Countywide Service Memos are posted on the website. The 2006 LSTA money has been released for spending.
b. Trustees received a monthly report from Alison Hoffman, Cataloger. Weinhold reported that she has been holding training sessions at each individual library. Monthly statistics and report on Bookmobile Services from Connie Meyer was also received.
c. Karlman moved to change the June 26 meeting to June 19 because of the ALA Conference conflict. Seconded by Jens, motion carried.
d. Weinhold announced that Sharon Abel was awarded the Wisconsin Correctional Teacher of the Year. Abel is an LTC Adult Education teacher at the Sheboygan County Detention Center and Jail and the volunteer for the Sheboygan County Detention Center grant for which we are the fiscal agent.
e. Trustees received a handout titled: “Email - ‘walking quorums’ and other potential open meeting violations” as a reminder about the use of e-mail by public officials.14. Adjourn: At 6 p.m. Stumpe moved to adjourn. Seconded by Karlman, motion carried.
Copyright 2000 Eastern Shores Library System